Change Your Name Before Your Divorce

Can You Change Your Name Before Your Divorce Is Final?

Going through a divorce can be a rather stressful period in your life. Many people want to revert to their maiden name or surname. Some people want to change their name before their divorce is finalized rather than waiting to have their divorce decree in hand.

Changing your name before divorce is possible in many states. So, if you want to change your name and do not want to wait for your divorce judgment, you can, in most cases.


Why You May Want to Change Your Name Before Your Divorce Is Final

Several different situations can arise during the course of your marriage that ultimately led to the divorce proceeding. Some women do not want to continue to use their husband’s last name while waiting for their divorce decree. For same-sex couples that took the surname of their partner, they, too, often want to change their name back to their pre-married name.

Another reason people change their name before divorce is it helps them to start to reestablish their own identity. Reclaiming your surname allows you to take the first step to become yourself again by unburdening yourself from using your spouse’s last name.

In other cases, even if you salvage your relationship and marriage, you still may want to establish your independence from your spouse. Changing your name back to your surname can be very empowering.


How Can You Change Back to Your Surname?

Changing your surname back is not as difficult as you may think. You can take care of many name changes yourself. However, there are certain legal requirements to make it official. The first step is to file a petition for the name change with help from your family law divorce lawyer.

Some courts will approve your request to change your name before your divorce is final. Others may require you to wait until you receive your divorce decree. If you do not want to wait, or if you have not officially filed for divorce, the process is a bit different, but still possible.

It is no different than when you filed the documents to change your name to your spouse’s surname when you got married. However, you may still want to get help with the process, as the application can be rather long and require a lot of documentation, such as your marriage license, divorce court order, birth certificate, and other legal documents.

Once your petition is filed with the court, you will be given a hearing date. At your hearing, you may be asked why you want to change your name. Once the name change goes through, your next priority is to change your name on your driver’s license and social security card.

To change the name on your driver’s license, take certified copies of your court order to your DMV. To change the name on your social security card, you will need to file a name change application with the social security administration and supply the appropriate documentation.

As funny as this may sound, some states will require publication of your name change in local newspapers before granting you the order for your name change.


Can You Use Your Maiden Name While Waiting for Your Court Order?

Changing Your Maiden NameYou can start using your maiden name at any point you want. However, it will not be legal until receiving the official court order. Yet, there are several things you can change your name on without this order, such as:

  • Magazine Subscriptions
  • Email Accounts
  • Social Media Accounts
  • Utilities
  • Newspaper Subscriptions
  • Streaming Services

Some credit cards will also allow you to change your name without an official court order. For other financial accounts and bank accounts, you will often have to wait until you get the name change order.


Can You Change Your Name Before Divorce Online?

It is understandable you already have a lot on your plate with your divorce proceeding. Not to mention, many people are not entirely sure of the process or their state’s requirements for changing their surname.

Luckily, you are in the right place. At FastFilings, we can help file your application to change your name before your divorce. We will work with you each step of the way to help you restore your name without any stress or hassles.

To find out more about changing your name, get started online today! You may also contact us through our website support if you have further questions or require assistance.

Leave a Reply