Get Your Austin Seller's Permit
A sales and use tax permit is required for any business selling tangible goods in Austin, TX. This permit is also known as a wholesale license, a resale license, a sales permit, and a resale certificate.
Starting at $69.95
Who Needs a Texas Seller’s Permit?
The site of the internationally famed South by Southwest festival and a thriving live music scene, Austin may be the most colorful city in all of Texas. It’s also known for its commitment to fostering the local business community, so it’s a fantastic place for entrepreneurs to set up a company. But there are a few licenses you need to obtain if you’re going to do business here. Most business owners will have to apply for a seller’s permit, which is alternatively known as a wholesale license, resale license, a sales and use tax permit, and a reseller permit. At FastFilings, businesses can easily obtain one of these sales tax permits with our convenient online ordering form.
If you are engaged in business in Austin or any other vicinity in the state of Texas, and your operations have to do with selling, renting, or leasing tangible personal property, then you need to get a Texas wholesale license.
It’s not always clear whether a company is truly “engaged in business” here. In general, you are said to be engaged in business—and required to obtain a reseller permit in Austin—if any of the following conditions are valid:
- You occupy or maintain an office, distribution center, sales room, warehouse, or any other place of business in Texas.
- You have an agent, representative, or similar type of employee in Texas involved with selling or delivering taxable items.
- You operate a flea market or another venue involved in the sale of taxable items in Texas.
- You sell or lease tangible personal property in Texas.
- You have a licensee or franchisee in Texas that is involved in business operations that require the collection of Texas sales tax.
- You conduct business in Texas through employees or independent contractors.
Feel free to contact us if you’re not certain whether you need a wholesale license in Texas.
Seller's Permit Vs. Resale Certificate in TX
A seller’s permit should not be confused with a resale certificate—they have two distinct purposes. A seller’s permit in Texas allows the holder to collect sales tax on behalf of the state. A Texas resale certificate, on the other hand, is a license that authorizes the holder to purchase goods tax-free on the condition that these items are to be resold later. Generally, these certificates are given by the buyer to the seller. Any local business that is involved in those types of transactions should have a resale certificate in Austin.
How to Get a Texas Seller's Permit for Your Business
It’s simple—just let FastFilings show you the way. With our online ordering process, you can fill out and send the application within minutes, for just $69.95. If you’re anywhere in the Austin area—Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville, San Marcos, New Braunfels, or another community—we can help you obtain a sales and use tax permit.
Make sure you have the following info ready before you begin:
- Name of the business
- Type of business entity
- Address and phone number of the business
- Social Security number
- Driver’s license number of owner or officer
- Projected sales per month